As a webbing manufacturer, it is important to know which fibers and materials are best for specific applications. One yarn that is used in webbing manufacturing is Nomex®. In this blog post, we’ll discuss its applications, strengths, weaknesses, and the finishes we offer to enhance its performance.
What is Nomex® Fiber?
Nomex® is a meta-aramid fiber manufactured by DuPont, known for its high-performance properties. Due to its unique molecular structure, Nomex® does not melt or drip when exposed to high temperatures. This makes it an ideal fiber for applications where fire safety is crucial.
Nomex® Webbing Strengths
- It has excellent resistance to abrasion, providing exceptional durability that can withstand years of use while maintaining a soft-to-touch feel.
- Nomex® fiber is one of the most heat-resistant fibers used in the textile industry. Nomex® webbing can withstand high temperatures without melting or igniting. It actually carbonizes at 800 degrees Fahrenheit which makes it an excellent choice for applications requiring heat and fire resistance.
- Nomex® fibers also have low flammability and do not support combustion, which makes it a beneficial material for use in firefighting apparel and equipment.
Nomex® Webbing Limitations
While Nomex® fiber has many benefits, there are some limitations to its use in webbing manufacturing. The most significant limitation of Nomex® fiber is its low breaking strength. However, it can be woven with other fibers, such as Kevlar®, to improve the strength of the webbing.
Nomex® also has limited chemical resistance. While the fiber is resistant to a small range of chemicals, it is not recommended for applications exposed to significant chemical exposure. Exposure to strong acids and bases, for example, can cause the fiber to break down and lose its strength.
Nomex® Webbing Variations
Nomex® is available in various colors, allowing OEMs to select the most suitable option for their specific needs, and can be manufactured with additional properties tailored to specific applications. These variations include different widths, and patterns, ensuring flexibility and customization to meet OEM requirements.
At Sturges, we have the capabilities to treat Nomex® webbing with additional finishes or coatings to enhance its performance in specific environments or applications. Some common treatments we offer include:
- Repellency Treatment: a hydrophobic coating can be applied to the webbing to reduce moisture absorption and improve its resistance to liquid-related challenges.
- Stiffener Treatment: a coating that is applied to provide more body which allows the webbing to hold its form and be cut in various shapes and angles without any fraying.
Nomex fiber is widely used for a variety of applications across multiple industries. Its heat and flame resistance as well as its soft-to-touch feel, make it a popular choice for products that require high-temperature performance, particularly in the firefighting, fall protection, and military and defense industries.
- Firefighting: In firefighting equipment, Nomex® webbing is used for a variety of different components, including chinstraps, waist belts, take-up straps, and more. Its soft-to-touch feel and high heat resistance make it ideal for firefighter protective gear.
- Fall Protection: In the realm of fall protection, Nomex® plays a crucial role in ensuring the safety of workers operating at heights. The exceptional flame resistance and durability of Nomex® webbing, make it a preferred choice to be used in various arc flash fall protection equipment including harnesses, lanyards, and retractable lifelines.
- Military & Defense: Thanks to its ability to withstand high temperatures, flames, and other extreme conditions, Nomex® webbing is widely employed in military applications. Used for tactical gear and personal protective equipment (PPE), it helps enhance the safety, effectiveness, and performance of military personnel in challenging and hazardous environments.
If you need reliable and durable webbing, look no further. With over 100 years of experience, Sturges Manufacturing has the knowledge and capability to create custom webbing solutions for your unique applications.
Nomex® is an exceptional material that has earned its reputation for being one of the most dependable textile fibers in the industry. With its excellent heat and chemical resistance properties, it offers excellent protection against harsh environments and provides optimal work comfort to workers in extreme conditions.
As a webbing manufacturer serving established OEMs, we understand the importance of providing our clients with high-performance industrial fiber types and materials that meet their industrial requirements. If you need help designing and manufacturing a product for your unique needs, we can help. Contact our team of experts.